Positive parental support is a necessary part of a Sound Beginning. Students have the opportunity to venture to the front of the class to try an activity with the teacher, but scurry back to the safety of mom's (or dad's) lap. Encouragement, praise and security are much of the parent's role in a Sound Beginnings class. Parents and children attend class together to strengthen bonds and to develop a happy pattern of educative play.
Researchers, teachers and parents are discovering that music education promotes:
- Excellence in math
- Increased ability to read
- Enhanced brain functioning
- Decreased learning and discipline problems
- Better social skills
- Superior communication skills
"Sound Beginnings has exceeded my expectations. It packs so much into each half hour class with an understanding of what it takes to keep preschoolers engaged and interested in musical activities. I am convinced that Let’s Get Ready and Let’s Play Music will lead my two young children to musical success."
"I love the Sound Beginnings class for toddlers because it provides a fun, structured environment for my children to discover and learn music. The lessons are active and playful and involve singing, movement/dancing, musical stories, listening, puppet play, and much more. We have so much fun at the lessons, but best of all, we can continue having fun making music at home because we attend together."
Classes Held: Once a week
Classes Begin: Usually end of August and beginning of January
Class Duration: 30 minutes
Entry Age: 2-4 years old, (one younger sibling may also attend)
Tuition: Varies by region
Materials fee: $30 for each semester (4 months)
Parent Involvement: Attend class every week, play the CD and encourage class songs and activities at home.
To Register: Contact a teacher near you!
Student materials - $30 per family, each semester
- Song & Activity CD – a different CD each semester full of songs, games and activities to enjoy in class and at home!
- Student Workbook – each semester has a student book for use at home and in class each week. There are no homework assignments, just lots of games and activities to enjoy at home as often as you like.
- Percussion Instrument – a different surprise each semester! Each is a high-quality simple percussion instrument.